OpenAI Codex is a new GPT-3 AI version that can convert plain english into runnable code.
It can also do other tasks related to Code, like translate code from one language to another, explain already written code in plaine english.
Codex is fine-tuned by OpenAI on a large amount of publicly available code.
Codex supports below programming languages.
& few others.
Codex is most proficient at Python but does a good enough job at other programming languages.
Codex is also what drives Copilot, the AI Code writing tool from Github.
Github was the first company that got access to Codex API and they built a VS Code Extension called Copilot that provides the functionality of writing code using plain english right in the VSCode IDE.
Github have announced they are working on building Copilot plugins or extensions for other IDEs like Intellisense, etc.
Codex is in Private beta and users are being allowed access one by one.
You can apply for access to Codex from here
If you already have access to GPT-3 API, you still need to seperately apply for access. You can do that from your OpenAI Account.
Read OpenAI’s annoucement
Watch OpenAI’s Live Stream recording
I see two main uses for Codex
- People using it directly from the OpenAI tool called Playground to help write code for themselves.
- Or people with access to API building Apps and integrating Codex into it and letting others use thos Apps.
Here are some cool stuff already built or being built with Codex
Github Copilot - A VS Extension that helps convert english commands to code.
Build Web Apps - Usin Codex to build full stack web applications.
Here are few ideas…
- Build Plugins and Extensions for Coding tools and IDEs other then V Code and do what Github Copilot has done for VS Code
- Build Template generators that let users generate new website templates by just typing plain english
- Write highly efficient Code translators.
- Boilerplate generators.
- Build No Code tools whose interface to the user is plain english rather then clicking buttons.
The possibilities are limitless.
Follow me to stay upto date on GPT-3 and Codex related happenings.
If you want help in your GPT-3 or Codex projects, check out my offerings here